Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Lazy Stick Revisited

I'm not going to lie; I've had my share of lazy moments in life. One such (prolonged) instance was my sophomore year in college when my roommate and I fashioned a long metal rod we Christened "the lazy stick." I no longer had the remote to my 13 inch television so the lazy stick helped perform such tasks as turning the TV on and resetting the Super Nintendo so we didn't have to wait to start a new round of Mario Kart. I thought of the lazy stick while eating dinner last week while traveling for work to Toronto.

My colleagues weren't getting in until later so I did what any self respecting person would do: explored the nearby Yorkville area (even though it was my first time in Toronto, I felt intimately familiar with the city based on my wife's affinity for HGTV) and found a bar that looked like it had good food and was showing the Olympics. A friendly guy sat next to me that the bartender recognized. She said, "Hey Jeff, you left your phone here a couple weeks ago. I think it's still in the back, let me check." As she left, he turned to me and said, "Yeah, I guess I haven't been here in a while. I actually live right across the street. I figured it was here, but it was just easier to get a new one through work."

That's right; he lived across the street.

I like to think if I had lost my cell phone and had some suspicion where it was, that I could muster up the energy to saunter across the street to find out if anyone had turned it in. Worst case scenario, the phone isn't there yet you're still at the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment